AGP vs PCI

Everquest and general technical help.

Moderator: Nadia

Shaiel

AGP vs PCI

Post by Shaiel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:09 AM

I am considering buying a better computer. It's become clear that I need to understand the difference between buying a computer with an AGP slot or buying one with out. Obviously it dictates what type of video card I buy. Beyond that, I dont have a clue.

As I currently play on an old computer, buying a refurbished year old one would be an upgrade. Or I can look at a new one. Finding one with an AGP slot, though, seems more of a challenge. I dont need outstanding performance in my system, but I would like the option to play EQ2 :p

Without getting too technical, are there reasons to choose AGP vs the PCI/PCIe (is that the same thing)?

Thanks for your time and help!

Shaiel / Anneli

Faraque Corinthar

Post by Faraque Corinthar » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:47 AM

Actually, the difference is simple. If you plan to play EQ2, you are going to need an AGP slot for a good video card. I havn't seen a high powered video card in PCI for a long while, and AGP has become the standard for video.

If you have the option, look in to buying new, unless you have a geek friend that can put your computer together for you. If you are lucky enough to have one of those, talk with him/her and see what you can work out.

You'd be suprised what you can do with a little money and the right motivation, and usually attention for a geek like that is motivation enough :) (I can say this, I am one)

Good luck, and if you would like to know anything else, feel free to hit me up ingame, or through email. Faraque @ gmail.com

Skewert
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Skewert » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:28 PM

PCI-e (PCI Express) is the latest expansion slot technology. The latest/greatest video cards (which drastically enhance video performance in games) mostly run on PCI-e, though many can be found in AGP versions. AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port, and thus is a slot that will only receive a "video" card.

Try http://forums.anandtech.com, forums version of www.anandtech.com

Should be plenty of knowledgeable people there to help you out with any questions you have.

Ddrak
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Ddrak » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:54 AM

Here's the short summary of the way it worked:

In the beginning there was 8 bit ISA.
Then that ran out of steam so there was 16 bit ISA.
Then that ran out of steam so IBM invented Microchannel and patented it.
The PC industry hated paying IBM for anything so then there was EISA.
EISA was nice but never caught on on the desktop so then there was VESA Local Bus.
VLB did really well, but didn't work for general purpose uses, so PCI was invented.
PCI made everything all happy and good, but ran out of steam so AGP was invented.
AGP ran out of steam several times and spawned AGP 2x, 4x and finally 8x.
AGP 8x started running out of steam so PCI-e was invented.
PCI-e hasn't run out of steam yet...

To directly answer your question, get a board with PCI-E if you are buying a whole new system because that's where the upgrade path is now. AGP will slowly die over the next year or two.

PCI-E is different to PCI.

Dd

Botnee

Post by Botnee » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:49 AM

After PCIeruns out of steam, the next upgrade will be amino acid strands contained in a saline gel pack.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Dd's post was just too right on the mark . . . specifically the term "yet."

Botnee

Theoequis

Post by Theoequis » Tue May 17, 2005 11:01 AM

Botnee, Botnee, Botnee,,, when you going to learn in computer speak the work yet should be like this,,, YET. I got my first home computer in 1976 and started servicing computers (Hi-speed spinning magnetic storage drums) in 1968 (USAF). I have given up trying to keep up with PC developement since Windows 3.11 (Dos 6.2 backround) the changes have been too fast and too furious. I will say that when buying a new computer get the best video card you can afford and as much memory as you can afford. You might check HP, Micron, Dell etc. web sites for re-furbished computers. They usually have good basic computers with some warranty at significant savings. And then you can update it as your pocket book allows.
Windcaller Theoequis Peregrinus
Tunarian Plainswalker of 70Seasons Retired
Coldain & CoV Max Ally
Flagged for Earth, Air, Water, Fire
Proud Member of Sublime Destiny
AA: Not Enough,,, but working on it

Adsterterder70

Post by Adsterterder70 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:06 AM

Adsterterder70

Post by Adsterterder70 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:06 AM