Upload a File, And Go to Prision.

Non-Everquest related discussion.

Moderator: Nadia

Aeudian
Adventurer of Underfoot

Upload a File, And Go to Prision.

Post by Aeudian » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:43 PM

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59654,00.html

A new bill proposed in Congress on Wednesday would land a person in prison for five years and impose a fine of $250,000 for uploading a single file to a peer-to-peer network.

The bill was introduced by Reps. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and Howard Berman (D-Calif.). They said the bill is designed to increase domestic and international enforcement of copyright laws.
More specifically, the bill targets peer-to-peer file trading, an aide working for the congressmen said. The law is meant to keep up with changing technology.

Content like movies, music and software are the country's No. 1 export, but the creators are being hurt by people who use technology to get the content for free, Conyers said.

Jason Schultz, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, called the bill "a sign of desperation" by the recording industry and Hollywood as they try to hold on to their business models.

The bill, called the Author, Consumer and Computer Owner Protection and Security Act of 2003, or ACCOPS, would allocate more money to the justice department to investigate copyright crimes: up to $15 million a year, compared with the current budget of $10 million. The bill would also enable information sharing between countries to help in copyright enforcement abroad.

The bill "clarifies" that uploading a single file of copyright content qualifies as a felony. Penalties for such an offense include up to five years in prison and up to a $250,000 fine. In addition, filming a movie in a theater without authorization would immediately qualify as a federal offense.

"We're giving notice that this is something we want specific attention paid to," said the aide. "The current law is very general."

ACCOPS also mandates that file-sharing websites must get consent from consumers to search their computers for content or to store files. In addition, those who provide false information when registering a domain name could also be charged with a federal offense.

Last year, Rep. Berman introduced a bill that would protect copyright holders from liability if they impaired or disrupted the unauthorized distribution of their content on P2P networks. The bill is still being debated.

EFF's Schultz said ACCOPS shows that the recording and movie industries "don't care what kinds of collateral damage they create." Sufficient laws are in place to punish those who violate copyright law, he said.

Plus, the poorly written bill sets up an unnecessarily wide dragnet, Schultz said. It criminalizes the placement of any copyright work on a computer network.

"If you have a file stored on your computer and your computer is connected to a publicly available network, you may not even know that you are committing a felony, but this law could put you in jail," he said.

"There have been hearings, year in and year out, and consumers have not complained about anything that is going on in this bill," Schultz said. "The only people complaining are the content industry folks.

"The content industry is asking the public to fund this kind of an effort against themselves."
Aeudian Ithaca
65 Arch Lich of Brell
Click here to go to Aeudian's Profile

Kazeric
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Kazeric » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:07 AM

Doh! I'm goin to jail for a very very very long time. Hey, do they have DSL in the pen?
Kazeric Darkmoon
Soulmate to Sionhope
Brell Serilis

Tiatiah
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Tiatiah » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:01 PM

I can see it now...

Prisoner_01: So what are you in for?

Prisoner_02: I got busted for robbery...

Prisoner_01: Oh? Me too...I took down Ft. Knox. What you hit?

Prisoner_02: Metallica, One.

Prisoner_01: ...

Prisoner_01 makes Prisoner_02 his bitz.

Tiatiah

Aeudian
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Aeudian » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:02 PM

LOL thats funny.

The Bill will NEVER pass as a law i dont think. maybe it will become less harsh, but you can get away with Armed Robbery and i think the fine would be less..
Aeudian Ithaca
65 Arch Lich of Brell

Narith
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Narith » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:48 PM

Oh it will pass... Don't know how long it will stay on the books but it will pass. In the early 1900s they made smoking illegal (tobbacco), that lasted 2 years. Later on they made alcohol illegal, that lasted a few years. in the 60s they made marijuana illegal, well lotta us have been trying to get that repealed ;). More recently they made the sale and purchase of model rockets without a liscence illegal (stupid ain't it).... This is just one of the many many many laws they have passed or will pass that either infringes on personal rights or is just insanely stupid that you wonder how they even managed to make it up for vote let alone pass it yet it still goes through.

It will pass, but I will save my ranting about the idiocy of it for the rant boards ;).

Veranon
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Veranon » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:11 AM

So...

I could rape someone and go in for 2 years, I could drunkdrive and kill someone and go in for 6 months... or I could share a song and go in for 5 years...

Glad they have their perspectives on human values versus commercial values set straight.

Aeudian
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Aeudian » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:26 AM

Question. it says on all the sites i see this on,
for uploading a single file to a peer-to-peer network.
Keyword being uploading. I have not seen on one site about this bill about punishments for downloading, just uploading the files. So if i disabled Sharing on kazaa and downloaded the files, i would be okay. shouldnt I?
Aeudian Ithaca
65 Arch Lich of Brell

Crackercrumbsbrell

Post by Crackercrumbsbrell » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:30 AM

whats a bigger ripoff, you downloading the "artists" 1 good song off of there album or them selling you that 1 good song with 14 others that suck ass for 15 bucks?

I've been ripped off by too many 1 good song bands and I think I should be able to download their 1 good song.

I was even banned from napster back in the day and put on "the list" for having my own metallica cd ripped and on my hard drive. I never once downloaded a single metallica song...and since I know they hatre it so much I went and made a cd with almost all of there songs on it in mp3 format that I copy and hand to friends:)

Aeudian
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Aeudian » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:43 PM

so true cracker
Aeudian Ithaca
65 Arch Lich of Brell