New Patch ruining stuff

EQ and server news, patch messages, and server events.

Moderator: Nadia

writher
Adventurer of Underfoot

New Patch ruining stuff

Post by writher » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:27 AM

Any character 10th level and under that attempts to attack a 'red' /con NPC will receive a warning about the danger of such an action.
Is this a joke?

If not, I really think this ruins the learning experience at lower levels that once existed for newb characters.
Last edited by writher on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Crelone
Administrator

Post by Crelone » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:46 AM

not to mention the added spam involved, Also notice the change to the DS. Guess the nerf is in yet again to PLing.
~Cre

greyborne
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by greyborne » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:49 AM

SOE doesnt care about learning experience, lowering the learning curve however is something they are bringing down to attract more customers or make it easier to lvl up an alt so that they get more mulah.

Now if they made the PoJ Trials easier, i'd be screaming bloody murder...
There are no mistakes, only consequences

Genth Djinslayer

Post by Genth Djinslayer » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:07 AM

What the heck did they want to add a "warning" when attacking a red mob? And at levels below 10? Until level 10 you die and keep everything on you anyway!

What's next, a warning that you might hurt some deity's feelings while on a planar raid, all because you chose to dye your armor some particular color?
*wanders off muttering*
Abra-cadabra, Shoonto-mefisto! Damn...another rabbit.
Guild Forum

Cartumandua

Post by Cartumandua » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:17 AM

I think this is for people who haven't learned to remap their attack key and get killed by guards. It may cause no downside, but I sure remember being annoyed with the game when I did it.
Cartumandua Spiritslammer

Cartumandua

Post by Cartumandua » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:18 AM

I think this is for people who haven't learned to remap their attack key and get killed by guards. It may cause no downside, but I sure remember being annoyed with the game when I did it.
Cartumandua Spiritslammer

Bahd Zoolander
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Bahd Zoolander » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:43 AM

Perhaps you should look into remapping your double post key. :)
Bahd Zoolander - Transcendent - On Vacation

Bahd Zoolander
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Bahd Zoolander » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:49 PM

Crelone wrote:Also notice the change to the DS. Guess the nerf is in yet again to PLing.
It works the same for me. My lvl 1 only had to do 1 damage to a mob with the rest of the damage coming from the damage shield to get exp.
Bahd Zoolander - Transcendent - On Vacation

xeklee

Post by xeklee » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:08 PM

Since the last patch, you have been able to ds a lowbie and they would get credit for the dmg as if they actually did the dmg that the ds was doing. Basically you could give a lvl 1 bot with a high level ds (lets say a lvl 49 druid ds thats 24pt of dmg) and run around hitting anythign they wanted. They never had to swing a single time to get the xp. The ds was being assigned as their dmg not seperate so they would get xp without having to dmg it at all.

As of todays patch, it is back to where it was before except the only thing i have seen different is lets say you are pl'ing someone and they have done all the dmg to the mob and you rooted it one time with your 160dd/root as a druid. If the character that is being powerleveled hasn't done 160dmg through pure melee then they will not get the xp. Then again maybe it was like this before and i never noticed /shrug

Miriamele
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Miriamele » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:53 AM

I was actually hoping they would add this change. They did the same thing in EQOA, and it saved me several times. Hitting the wrong key can be painful sometimes, even if you don't actually lose everything.

writher
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by writher » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:06 AM

So at level 11-65 people don't hit the wrong key? :x

farbekrieg

Post by farbekrieg » Sat May 03, 2003 1:52 PM

Damn finger slipped hit the reply button.... now my 64 sk will be dead.. D - E - D. dead

Zeroth Shadorian

Post by Zeroth Shadorian » Wed May 07, 2003 5:15 AM

think one of the funniest miss keys i have witnessed was in PoJ trials area... Person musta hit attack and the one of the Big Guys layed em out. One Hit Splat. :P

Miria DuBois
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Miria DuBois » Wed May 07, 2003 5:25 AM

Letting someone know that their target is going to kick their ass just helps them to learn to /con something. If they get this message, they'll see it and say "oh, probably shouldn't go after that red then." When somebody first makes a character and gets a drive-by-buff, they might assume that they can normally handle yellows and reds... then when the buff wears off they're confused. And of course there are some places where a mob will have the same look and name as all the other ones, but for some reason be 10 levels higher (like that jello in qeynos aqueducts around the master baiter).

Don't tell me you're seriously calling it a NERF when it requires you to do 1pt of damage to get credit for a kill. Oh poor me! When I'm PLing my character I have to hit the attack key once :roll:

Falhiem
Adventurer of Underfoot

Post by Falhiem » Sat May 10, 2003 9:31 AM

As of todays patch, it is back to where it was before except the only thing i have seen different is lets say you are pl'ing someone and they have done all the dmg to the mob and you rooted it one time with your 160dd/root as a druid. If the character that is being powerleveled hasn't done 160dmg through pure melee then they will not get the xp. Then again maybe it was like this before and i never noticed /shrug
If your alt you are PLing only does 1 pt of dmg and you do 160 then yeah you KSed him
Falhiem
Coercer

Crackercrumbsbrell

Post by Crackercrumbsbrell » Mon May 12, 2003 8:33 AM

I think that was me that got laid out by the Tribunal. I had attack on assist on by accident :) He actually only did 9 points of melee damage on me because of my runes...the 20,000 DT was what keeled me :(