Brell Serilis Forum Index
Brell Serilis

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister 
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Donate with Paypal to keep the board going!

expansion: Depths of Darkhollow, due Sept 13 2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 AM    Post subject: expansion: Depths of Darkhollow, due Sept 13 2005 Reply with quote

SONY site
http://everquest.station.sony.com/dod/

http://mobhunter.com/000065.html
Quote:

Play as a Monster

The most exciting feature of Depths of Darkhollow lets players select monsters as play characters. Anyone who remembers Project M remembers how much fun it was to jump into the body of a moss snake and pwn newbs. The Play as a Monster features improves on this idea in many directions.

There are two ways to play as a monster: within missions and using a system called the Spirit Shroud.

Using the Spirit Shroud, players can select lower level beasts to hunt with lower level friends in old-world zones. This meets a long-standing problem where friends of mixed levels could not hunt together. Though high level players may pick lower level monsters, the experience gained will improve both their primary play character and their selected beast. The creatures a player can polymorph into are limited by the infamous global memory file; a large file containing all of the player models, armor, weapons, pets, and other common world-wide models.

The second method of playing as a monster lets players jump into missions as any monster within the dark minds of the SOE designers and artists. Players can jump into a variety of missions with a variety of different monster PC models.

Last edited by Nadia on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:58 PM; edited 2 times in total
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=9008
Quote:

7 Statics Zones
15 Dynamic Zones
2 Endgame Zones “Dreadspire Keep”
“Play as a monster”
Historical “Lore” Missions
No Level Cap increase
Evolving “Smart Items”
New Alternate Advancement

22 new zones with variations among these themes as well as an endgame zone that will use rules similar to the nest (only locked/keyed zone), non-instanced version will be open to everyone once unlocked and instanced versions will be available with a wide range of raid encounters. (Korlach, Dreadspire, Hive, Nektulos and more)

“Play as a Monster” is Everquest’s solution to mentoring as well as allowing people to explore historic instances and missions in older EQ zones such as Loral’s Guk Ghoul Lord in which you will experience the History in which Norrath was built. The key to this system is class archetypes (dps, heal, tank, etc.) and each of the Monsters will be able to substitute at the appropriate level chosen through a Spirit Shroud system (still under development and therefore subject to change). As a bonus you will gain a percentage of experience to your chosen character while playing the lower level monster.

http://www.thesafehouse.org/viewtopic.php?t=20334
Quote:

- Designed for 45+
- Take on Spirit Shards to become a mob any level up to your level to help out your newbie friends. Skill gained will go to your group and cross over to your main. Monsters are templated, warrior type of monster, healer monster, etc.
writher
Adventurer of Underfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word if there will be new AA's?
Adventurer of Underfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadia wrote:

New Alternate Advancement

Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw this on features page
http://everquest.station.sony.com/dod/features.jsp
Quote:

New Creatures, New Environments and New Encounters:

Over 30 unique creatures and 7 Zones, 15 Small Instances, with a re-envisioned Nektulos Forest.
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to length of post, was posted as new topic

Depths of DarkHollow: Devchat preview
http://www.brellrants.net/brell/viewtopic.php?t=10053
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this amusing Laughing

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=TNZ&message.id=195161#M195161
Quote:
Ellisande wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rashere wrote:

I can at least answer the question about the shrouds.

When you step into a spirit shroud, you are literally becoming that monster and you have access to all of their stats, skills, and equipment instead of your normal ones. The special spirit shroud available through pre-order gives you access to a unique monster not available through other means.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so basically our gear we are getting now is worthless when playing as a monster?

Um, what use would your level 68 beastlord gear be, when playing a level 45 cleric with your friends (just to pick two classes at random.)

Nolrog Strongbow
Tradeskill Correspondent

Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

another devchat
http://www.brellrants.net/brell/viewtopic.php?p=60320#60320
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit Shrouds - pictures and monster abilities
http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=9515
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MobHunter article (hyperlinked articles at link)
http://mobhunter.com/000071.html
Quote:
by Loral on September 03, 2005

We stand on the crest of the release of Depths of Darkhollow, Everquest's tenth expansion. My network of spies reports that the Non Disclosure Agreement by which many of us are bound to hold the secrets of this new underground world will lift soon. In the meantime, let's talk about some of the news in the past couple of weeks.

The latest Everquest Developer's Chat mainly talked about the spirit shroud system although lord Rashere revealed bits and teasers about the new Depths AAs:

"I'm putting together a good variety of AAs including some that introduce new concepts to EQ. If you're in the beta, you should be able to check them out soon."

Indeed, they were on beta a day later and the new concept is quite exciting. I will talk about it more in a few days.

Rytan also talked a little bit about spirit shroud progression, a subject I think is very important:

"The progression for spirit shrouds is completely separate from the experience you gain to increase your character's level. So you won't have to allocate any of your normal experience to advance your shrouds. It's completely a bonus on your normal experience."

Progression is the drive that keeps us playing Everquest. I am glad to see an independent progression path for spirit shrouds and I hope SOE continues to expand upon this as they do with tradeskills and AAs. Earning experience as a spirit shroud is nice, but being able to unlock new shrouds through their use will keep us using them.

Rashere also mentioned that 1/3 of the missions in Depths of Darkhollow will be monster missions. From the 60 missions mentioned on the Depths of Darkhollow homepage, that makes about 20 different monster missions.

Earlier this week I was more excited about spirit shrouds than anything else, but recent tests of the monster missions changed my mind. Monster missions open up an entire new way to play Everquest, not simply in shifting you to a new entity but in the tailored scenario around you. Expect me to spend some time talking about monster missions in a few days.

In other Everquest news, Caster's Realm had a few interesting articles this past week. My friend, the Kyv, wrote a Guide to the Muramites and my other friend Nanyea of Township Rebellion and a regular writer for Caster's Realm wrote All About Spirit Shrouds. I had the opportunity to write an editorial on Caster's Realm this past week entitled Who Deserves New Content. There are also some sneak screenshots of the new Clockwork Boar mount available to those who purchase Depths of Darkhollow in retail stores.

It appears the next SOE Fan Faire will not be until April 6 according to a recent posting from our favorite halfling, Brenlo.
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

DODH and Raiding
http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=116886#M116886
OmusTR wrote:
I really dont see (shrouds) for raids.

And about the raids...Like the last few expansions, most of the raids will be instanced, and most of the raids that I tested was instanced, tho there is a couple non instanced raids scattered across the zones. There is only 1 (well, I think) zone that will be flaged to be able to enter, Dreadspire Keep. This zone is an Anguish + zone, and from what I can tell, is pretty large. There is also a regular and an instanced verson of Dreadspire Keep.
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mobhunter.com/001416.html
Quote:
Depths of Darkhollow includes six new large static zones including The Undershore, Stoneroot Falls, The Ruins of Illsalin, Corathus Creep, The Hive, Dreadspire Keep. The release of Depths of Darkhollow also included a rebuilt Nektulos forest for all EQ players including those not purchasing the expansion.

These zones scale from level 45 to level 70 with three zones tuned for level 68 to 70 hunters. Dreadspire Keep should give a good challenge to those bored of Riftseekers.

Quote:
One important note and change that may frustrate some players. Mission entrances are sometimes very deep in hostile zones. Getting TO a mission can become as difficult as the mission itself. These missions are tuned to include the time it takes to arrive as well as the time it takes to complete so they shouldn't become much longer to complete than missions in previous expansions. It can be frustrating, however, to accept a mission and not actually begin it until after an hour of traveling.

Depths of Darkhollow also includes some single group events (I heard them referred to as single group raids, a term that made my head spin but my heart soar) that are triggered by a group but take place in open zones. These are sort of a mixture of instanced missions and regular overland killing but the idea is unique. This fits well with my previous request for more interesting single group content than static hunting and boring boss monsters.

Quote:
Depths of Darkhollow includes two dozen events and raids ranging from 24 person elemental level events to 54 person Anguish and post-Anguish level raids. Anguish raiders can expect over a dozen 54 person high-end raids. This will hopefully give high-end raiders more than enough challenge and also offer further parallel progression paths for lower-end raiders to reach more powerful challenges and greater rewards.

Quote:
Those who purchase the retail version of Depths of Darkhollow will receive an in-game clockwork boar mount. This mount is comparable to the 10k plat horse and drogmar mounts but with a unique model and look. Rewards like these offer an incentive to retail outlets to carry this expansion and it is these boxes on the shelf that bring new players to Everquest. Unfortunately, poor retail systems between the US and other countries make it nearly impossible for non-US players to receive such a reward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brell Serilis Forum Index -> News and Events All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: