Brell Serilis Forum Index
Brell Serilis

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister 
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Donate with Paypal to keep the board going!

DODH: Loral's Guide to Spirit Shrouds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:10 AM    Post subject: DODH: Loral's Guide to Spirit Shrouds Reply with quote

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=9550
Nadia
Brell News

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

DODH Spirit Shrouds - monster abilities
http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=9515

commentary from Beta Testers
http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=116886#M116886
OmusTR wrote:
I really dont see (shrouds) for raids.

And about the raids...Like the last few expansions, most of the raids will be instanced, and most of the raids that I tested was instanced, tho there is a couple non instanced raids scattered across the zones. There is only 1 (well, I think) zone that will be flaged to be able to enter, Dreadspire Keep. This zone is an Anguish + zone, and from what I can tell, is pretty large. There is also a regular and an instanced verson of Dreadspire Keep.

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=116886#M116886
Quote:
The spirit shrouds were actually disappointing to me, as far as their usefulness in a higher-level group. I only really see them holding their own until around 45-50. Past that point, they don't really fill in very well for a key role in groups.

In raiding I'll agree they can't really hold up well outside of possibly Kunark-level difficulty.

For example, the earth elemental warrior had around 4.5-5k-ish at level 70 with all the natural durability/hp monster AA's maxed. I couldn't wear any gear, didn't have a weapon, and spent a good 5 minutes meleeing a light blue and hardly getting a hit off (even with a 275 hand to hand skill). The light blue in question ended up completely tearing me a new one and I had to run at low health.

Conversely at level 10-20 with the same shroud I was easily able to hold up under fire from mobs up to white and yellow con, to the point that I could've been a decent tank for a group at that level. The warrior shrouds do get a full complement of aggro abilities, but I can't find many experience situations where a 5k-ish unbuffed warrior will want to gain and hold aggro for most groups. I didn't play with the casters much, but I suspect their mana pools are a bit low to carry on being a support role in any situation.

Some of the monster missions, while interesting, weren't completely balanced well with the relative power of the shrouds in mind (this could have been changed since last time I was playing around with them). A group of us did several of the monster missions and were unable to do anything but die horribly if we tried to really engage more than one or two creatures. I do think the idea is very sound and will be a fun release, but most groups (unless they're good friends) would probably rather have most people play their main and not be a needed class than play a monster shrouded key class. In the lesser levels they do succeed in their goal, but past a certain point they will more or less be a toy.

I know the key idea is to allow higher levels to group with lower level friends/alts using the shrouds, so what I see as a design flaw very well could be intentional.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brell Serilis Forum Index -> News and Events All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: