how about this snow, eh?

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Fobbon Lazyfoot
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

how about this snow, eh?

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 am

Drifts up to my fucking window here in Portland. How're the rest of you oregonians doing?
I like posting.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Re: how about this snow, eh?

Post by Alluveal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:03 am

Oh great. Portland snow usually means it comes southeast to us in Colorado. Keep your snow! KEEP IT!

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:23 am

My daughter called your whole city out last night by saying "Wow, are the people in Portland total pussies or what?"

Lol.

The whole city shuts down over what, 4 inches? It took 3 feet in 48 hours in Spokane last week to even keep the kids home from school for a day. They're running snow plows 24/7 here to keep the roads open and I was watching people in 4x4 jeeps with snow tires get stuck on my street before the plows got to us. And when the plows did hit our street they left a 5 foot berm in front of all our driveways which took most of us half a day to dig out.

This is my street last year when we got hit with 4 feet:
snowstreet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Klast Brell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:32 am

5 to 10 below for the past week. A little snow almost every day. Out there shoveling in 20 below windchill sucks. As your skin gets cold your breath starts condensing on your face. Now your face is wet and cooling down even faster. You try and dry it off wiping it against the sleeve of your jacket, your sleeve already has snow all over it.

Ugh.

Here is the local forecast from the national weather service.
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Winter Weather Advisory

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 9. Wind chill values between -2 and -12. South southwest wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 3. Wind chill values between -9 and -15. South southeast wind between 9 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow, mainly before noon. High near 21. Wind chill values between -5 and -15. South wind between 8 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 am

Yeah, we're pussies compared to Minnesota or Buffalo NY.

This morning we're -4 wind chill with about 6 inches on the ground. Last year I bought a 4 stroke, 2 stage self propelled snow blower with a 2 1/2 foot draw off of craigslist. It's an older model that's tempermental to start when it's below zero but it's badass once I get the damn thing started. I hear 3 or 4 out there right now and it's almost my turn :(

A few days ago I sneezed outside. Went back to snow blowing and when I came inside the wife said "OMG you have icicles on your face!"

When I moved here a few years ago after almost 40 years in southern california I was totally scared shitless of driving on snow and ice. Now I pull up to a stop light and me and the people around me all slide up to the light and it doesn't even get my heart pumping. Once you get used to it it's not so bad. The only danger I see here now is drivers being over-confident.

Klast Brell

Post by Klast Brell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:44 am

Every winter it takes some Minnesotans a while to remember how to drive in snow and ice. With this weather we've been having there have been a lot of accidents. Mostly cars in the ditch, but a couple crashes and rollovers as well. You get these idiots who think that because they have 4 wheel drive they can stop better than someone with 2 wheel drive.

The Minnesota Department of Transportation tracks all the crashes in the metro area freeways.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/tmc/traffici ... dents.html
If the cameras have a good angle on them you can get a pretty close up view.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Fobbon Lazyfoot

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:52 am

About a foot on the ground now I'd say, drifts are about waist high at their tallest.

Its a big deal cause nobody is really used to it. Hell, even nature isn't used to it - a friend of mine said one out of every three trees in town crashed due to ice and wind last night alone. I was pretty comfortable outside with a rainshell and sweater, but the windchill just cuts the shit out of you. All the ice and the snow is leaving people stranded, too - myself included. My civic is not going anywhere, with or without chains, lol.
I like posting.

Klast Brell

Post by Klast Brell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:05 pm

169 at 494.JPG
Just taking a look at one of the wipe outs. This is pretty typical. 2 cars in the ditch, and look at all the tracks through the ditch from the other cars that have wiped out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!

Post by Partha » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:14 pm

It's about 12 degrees above zero at the moment, with accumulated snow over the past week at about a foot, with another foot due this week.
Well, it’s the Super-Monroe Doctrine: “Get off our oil, people who dress funny!” - M. Bouffant

"You're a bad captain, Zarde. People like you only learn by being touched, and hard. And you will greatly disapprove of where these men put their hands." - M. Vanderbeam.

Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Medford looks like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow.

I got chased by wolves to work, as well :(
Didn't your mama ever tell you not to tango with a carrot?

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:32 pm

I just moved about a foot of snow out of the driveway and it's still coming down. Global warming took a holiday.
Dec 22 yard.jpg
The 8 foot pile on the right of this pic is my daughter's fiance's car which is completely buried and having a very bad day. It even had a mini avalanche today.
Bobby's Car.jpg

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Klast Brell wrote:5 to 10 below for the past week. A little snow almost every day. Out there shoveling in 20 below windchill sucks. As your skin gets cold your breath starts condensing on your face. Now your face is wet and cooling down even faster. You try and dry it off wiping it against the sleeve of your jacket, your sleeve already has snow all over it.

Ugh.
God that is so annoying, but I normally don't mind shoveling if I have plenty of time to do it - it's sort of fun to have an excuse to be outside working. What I hate is being in an hurry and having to shovel...like right before work.

Brushing snow off your car & scraping windows either before work or going home totally blows though.

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 pm

We got a little over a foot in one night and have been getting random snowfall for about 3 days now.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

Select
VP: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Select » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm

It's been the 60's/70's here :D I go back to NY tomorrow so I only have 24 hours left to gloat :( and tan.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm jealous. I miss snow. :(

(90-100 here and humid as hell)

Dd

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:22 pm

The weather report for Xmas eve around where I am said there's going to be rain, but not enough to wash away the snow...so if you're around New England expect a slushy, disgusting Christmas.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Sounds like some of you need a little Oceanic Flight 815

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General

Post by Kulaf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:36 pm

Here ya go Dd:

Fobbon Lazyfoot

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:00 am

I believe on my bus rides yesterday (even if I thought I could drive my civic I can't tell which lump of snow it is) there was an average of one stuck car every thirty-five feet. I pushed three of them just on walk to and from the bus stops. I don't understand why people insist to try to drive their shitty little Acura with five inches of clearance in fifteen inches of snow.
I like posting.

Xican

Post by Xican » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 am

That's not so bad. Being back in Ottawa for the first time over the winter in a while, it surprised me just how bad the weather is, a bit. But eventually you fall back into the old routines and its not so bad.

What bothers me the most about snow in this city is the removal. It's Ottawa, a place with high snowfalls every year and every year we have the same shitty snow removal. Now, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the odds of ridiculous amounts of snow piling up are a given, even with global warming. Makes me wonder -- Why haven't we come up with something other than 'push it to the side of the road'? You can't tell me that this is the pinnacle of technology's solution for snow removal. I refuse to believe that 'push it aside' is the best we've got for getting rid of this crap. I bet we don't even have anyone looking into it, too. Every year the city goes way over budget with snow removal and doesn't even do a suitable job -- why not divert some of those funds into some research on a new way to remove this shit.
"If beer has never touched your lips, you've never dropped the mitts or packed a dip, chances are you're not a hockey player, and if you are -- chances are you're not a very good one"
-Todd Bertuzzi