Buying A House

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Re: Buying A House

Post by Ddrak » Sat May 04, 2013 5:43 am

Offer rejected as in house off market cause they sold it to someone else, or as in "put in something higher"?

Dd

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Sat May 04, 2013 10:46 am

Doesn't sound like there will be a counter offer if the seller wanted you to lead with your best offer. Oh well. At least it's still a buyer's market. Sounds like your sellers were pricks. There shouldn't be any shortage of cool houses to look at. People have telephones. In a normal sane business transaction you can have your agent call their agent and not have to play silly games.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

No counter offer, they just said someone else got it with a higher offer but couldn't tell us amount or anything. The status changed to "contract pending" on the site as well. On to the next one...
Freecare Spiritwise wrote:At least it's still a buyer's market.
How are you figuring? Houses are getting snatched up quickly for high prices, does that make it a sellers market?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am

It seems more like a sellers market currently - unless you are talking about McMansions or on the flip side - shitty houses. The nice houses around here that are under $275kish seem to get snatched up within the same day/week when the price is right. We have a few friends trying to house shop right now and they've been getting incredibly frustrated with how fast houses are selling in their price-range.

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

Yeah, maybe you just barely missed the 8 or so years of the buyer's market. The housing market is just starting to bounce back. But I believe that most of the country still has depressed prices and too much inventory. CO is probably just hot right now, as is my area.

Ok, well, I sold my last house in a seller's market and then turned around to buy in that Viper pit of a market. The trick as a buyer in a seller's market is good communication/negotiation skills. You want to stand out to that seller. You need to get their attention. I would also choose my buyer's agent very carefully. Ideally he/she is friends with all the listing agents of the houses you are looking at.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:Yeah, maybe you just barely missed the 8 or so years of the buyer's market.
:( I was afraid that would happen. I wish I would have done this a couple years ago..
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon May 06, 2013 2:31 pm

You're still in good shape because you're still towards the bottom of the market. Hold on to your house for 5 years and you'll be in better shape.

You have an awesome agent, right? The best agent on earth and the worse agent on earth both charge the same commission, so it costs you nothing to be picky.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:You have an awesome agent, right?
I think so, but I have nothing to compare her to. So far she's been extremely available and helpful to all my noob questions. She gives me advice and knows I prefer email/texting for communication. We've only put one offer down on that house together but I thought it all went really smoothly.

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm

How old is she?

Dd

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Ddrak wrote:How old is she?
I'm bad at guessing age, but old enough to have a son that's been married 15 years. I'd say she's like 50 or 60? She also has a fun southern accent.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

This house I'm looking at tonight (and considering making an offer for) is here:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3817- ... 0324_zpid/

Good:
- Location: hot damn it's so close to downtown, good neighborhood, bus stops, stores, market, food etc. right across from a park and great view of downtown
- High ceilings
- Price.. very hard to find anything in this neighborhood under $300k

Bad:
- Old home, built in 1901
- Has a weird "drop" next to one wall of the home. Like the floors are level through the house but then within a couple inches of the north wall, there is a drop in the floor that is like ~1inch down. I'm guessing this is something with the old foundation and hopefully the inspector would be able to tell me more.

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 am

Wood floor in the bathroom would worry me. I dunno - I'm a little sketchy. House doesn't look quite square to me.

Dd

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 am

I pussed out on making an offer on this one. I didn't want to deal with a 100+ year old house and weird foundation issues. Bleh.. just gonna calm down on getting excited about making offers and keep looking for something better.

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 am

It's rough, especially if it's a seller's market.

Dd

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Thu May 30, 2013 11:13 am

Oh baby, this just got real! I submitted another offer on a home yesterday and just got a counter offer back from the seller. They accepted my price but just wanted to change a few dates, so.. it's nearly official now! How exciting. This home is a little further away from downtown than I was looking before, and it's definitely the nicest of the 15+ homes I looked inside. It's crazy how much more for your money you can get just by moving another 10 blocks out!

Any tips on this place as I go through the inspection / appraisal / loan process now?
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5025- ... 2743_zpid/

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Jesus man... I really had no idea that the CO's housing was like that. That house you just posted is probably like 80k here. I mean granted, no one wants to live here, but still. That seems bananas.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Make sure the seller pays for everything that comes up in the inspection.

Dd

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Looks good. I'm not a big fan of galley kitchens but that one looks OK. Love the flooring. I'm a clean freak in my old age, and with hard wood/tile flooring you know at a glance how clean it is. Carpeting is like a sponge that soaks up all your sins. When I first moved into my house, I *hated* the white tile entryway, but 5 minutes with the Floormate (you'll want one of those) and it's as clean as the day we moved in.

Congrats, Tax!

Fallakin Kuvari
Rabid-Boy

Post by Fallakin Kuvari » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Nice looking house, Tax.
Warlord Fallakin Kuvari - 85 Wood Elf Warrior, Brell Serilis forever.
Grandmaster Nikallaf Kuvari - 70 Iksar Monk.

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Taxious wrote:I pussed out on making an offer on this one. I didn't want to deal with a 100+ year old house and weird foundation issues. Bleh.. just gonna calm down on getting excited about making offers and keep looking for something better.
I wouldn't worry too much about building age. My fiance and I are in the process of buying, and nothing we looked at in our price range was built after 1950. The one we decided to go with (closing should be within the next week or two, it's been a LONG process - since February) was built in 1928. 0 foundation issues, needs some cosmetic updating, but all in all it's sturdy.
Taxious wrote:Oh baby, this just got real! I submitted another offer on a home yesterday and just got a counter offer back from the seller. They accepted my price but just wanted to change a few dates, so.. it's nearly official now! How exciting. This home is a little further away from downtown than I was looking before, and it's definitely the nicest of the 15+ homes I looked inside. It's crazy how much more for your money you can get just by moving another 10 blocks out!

Any tips on this place as I go through the inspection / appraisal / loan process now?
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5025- ... 2743_zpid/
Can't seem to find the pictures for this one. If an inspector checks the house and mentions any sort of water damage that's your signal to back out of the deal. Your agent should be able to suggest a good inspector. The loan and appraisal process for us were pretty simple, just signing papers and waiting for everyone else involved (seller's bank, our bank, etc) to get their shit together over the course of half a year.

Congrats on the house!
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.