New Game of Thrones

Movies, Albums, Games, whatever. Tell us what you thought!
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Re: New Game of Thrones

Post by Harlowe » Thu May 01, 2014 5:39 am

And spoiler-ish ...since that one character wasn't even in the books yet. :shock:

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Sat May 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Ddrak, yeah...

First, we'd never seen the creepy zombie babies "created" like that. (But it was really intense and disturbing!)

I don't know if that main undead guy is ColdHands. Didn't CH ride an undead elk? And wasn't he a good guy? (kinda)

Bran, Hodor and the Reeds being captured by rogue Nightwatch douchelord was definitely not in the books. I'm wondering what the motive is here. Perhaps to cover some ground quickly with information or the merging of story/character arcs? We'll have to see. As long as they're not raping Meera, I'm okay.

Ser Pounce! YES to kittehs...

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Sun May 04, 2014 7:43 am

I'm really not seeing the White Walkers as any better or worse than the Lord of Light. I do think the whole thing will end up building to a showdown between the two sides, but I can't pick which one I want to win.

Dd

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Sun May 04, 2014 9:33 am

Beric and Catelyn were brought back by the Lord of Light. They seem to be exactly as they were before death, except their wounds do not heal and, according to Beric, "a part of them" gets left behind every time they're brought back. By the state we last saw Lady Stoneheart in, I'd say the amount of time that passes between death and resurrection can muck things up a great deal, as well (Thoros mentions not wanting to bring Catelyn back because she'd been dead so long). And, as DD mentioned way earlier, Cat is consumed by some serious rage.

The creatures North of the Wall, they seem to be a different breed entirely. White Walkers are the old enemy, the purpose of the Wall, and they seem to be intelligent. They're even mentioned as having a language of their own in the books at some point, if I'm not mistaken. I also don't think the White Walkers are undead. If you read their entry on the Wiki of Ice and Fire, you'll see a quote from GRRM, where he says, "The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

In the television series, they definitely have an undead look about them in, very skeletal and whatnot. But they don't look quite as harsh in the books. One of them was beautiful enough to seduce the Night's King, after all (which also means there must be female Others somewhere in the Lands of Always Winter). After the last episode of the show, we now know for sure how they are born, so to speak (and this was strongly hinted at in the books as well.

Wights, on the other hand, are definitely undead. These are the semi-mindless thralls made by the White Walkers/Others when they resurrect an enemy (or animal) they've slain. It seems like anything killed by a White Walker becomes a Wight if it isn't burned in time. One of these attacked Mormont in book 1/season 1. The White Walkers seem to use them as cannon fodder to make up for their lack of numbers.

Xican
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

Post by Xican » Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 pm

They've taken a few wild detours from the story in the books at this stage. I'm not entirely convinced that it's for the best. Granted, since Martin doesn't seem interested in finishing the books in his own life time, I guess HBO had to step in and they might as well start molding it to their image now.
"If beer has never touched your lips, you've never dropped the mitts or packed a dip, chances are you're not a hockey player, and if you are -- chances are you're not a very good one"
-Todd Bertuzzi

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Mon May 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Hmm... so Littlefinger is basically behind everything. Nice!

Dd

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon May 19, 2014 3:54 pm

This season has been pretty awesome! Every time an episode ends I'm like.....noo....noOoo...not yet!

The one weird thing is that it seems like Jon's arc is lagging behind everyone else's. The rest seem to be barreling towards A Feast for Crows and he's not even at the midpoint of A Storm of Swords.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Mon May 19, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm really enjoying the exchange between Arya and The Hound so far.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:31 am

R.I.P. Red Viper. See you in the afterlife.

Get it? "See?"

(slinks away)

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:14 am

They're really getting into the swing of telling the story now that they've tossed out any semblance of sticking to the one book, aren't they?

Dd

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm

So book nerds, is the Mountain dead or not? I hope not because there seemed to be a big fight between him and the Hound building

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

If you want to know some book stuff......
Hidden Information!
He's poisoned with thickened manticore poison, which means a slow, painful screaming death. Cersai lets that healer that worked on Jaime's hand take him to the lower keep to experiment on, where they can't hear him screaming, and he claims to be working on an unbeatable champion for Cersai, so ....he might be alive-ish.

Minute

Post by Minute » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Wait, what? So he is alive after the fight & then poisoned?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Who knows? They've changed the story a little in the series, so this could be different.

Dd

Minute

Post by Minute » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Oh wait, you mean because he was a master of poisons? So he poisoned the spear? So dude is alive, but fucked up. Got it!

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Hidden Information!
I think he kind of dies, or he's mindless because this guy in the book (who we are lead to believe is him) is this fighter that doesn't need to eat or sleep, he's just a creepy walking armored/masked champion dude.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Hidden Information!
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe he did die, but the questionable non-maester might have taken some rather dubious steps to bring him back. Including bad mojo or whatnot. It's hard to say. I think he's a zombie. In A Feast for Crows, Cersei has a new "giant champion" that never takes off his helm, but also doesn't speak and is pretty much a killing machine pet of sorts. It's not 100% confirmed, but I think most people know it's the Mountain. And that his brain is shit.
At least that's what I'm gathering. Dd and Harlowe might have different ideas.

But, put your mind at ease. There's a great poop scene coming up. And it wins everything.

Minute

Post by Minute » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:50 pm

That kind of bums me though. I mean a lot of The Hound's talk has been about his animosity towards his brother. I was sort of hoping there would be an eventual epic battle between the two.

Everyone talks about the smushed head, but I thought the best scene was the punch to the face followed by the group of teeth rattling across the ground. That was an awesome idea.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Maybe a
Hidden Information!
zombie Hound and zombie Mountain might fight it out in the end. Who knows!
I'm with you Allu, at least that feels like what we are led to believe.

Ddrak

Post by Ddrak » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:18 am

I definitely thought zombie.

Dd